Sunday, September 7, 2008

Raz-Pepper Preserves

Kelly B. and I have been trying to perfect this recipe for about 3 years. I think we have all the bugs worked out (in the past, we've had it go runny). I make my batches mild, with just a little kick, but Kelly likes hers spicy. Warn your kids not to spread this on a PBJ! I serve it as a sauce on chicken or pork, but my favorite is to pour in on a brick of cream cheese and serve it with Wheat Thins or Ritz Crackers. I am going to include step-by-step instructions on another post for those who are new to canning. I often give this as a christmas gift.


1 cup fresh or frozen raspberries (I always use fresh)

1/2 cup chopped red pepper

1/4 cup chopped jalapeno (for mild, remove the seeds, for hot, leave some of the seeds in)

3 cups sugar

3/4 cup white vinegar

1 (3 oz.) pkg. liquid pectin


In a saucepan, combine all ingredients except pectin. Bring to a boil. Boil 3 minutes, then cool for 5 minutes. Stir in liquid pectin. Pour in jars and seal.

1 comment:

heidi said...

can you use powdered pectin? I've never used the liquid kind before...