Sunday, September 7, 2008

Nan's Chocolate Eclair Cake


I've had this recipe for 17 years! I got it from one of my co-workers wives, who I use to hang out with. She was the homemaking leader in her ward and I was the homemaking leader in mine. She took me under her wing and gave me tons of good ideas and recipes (I was only 19 years old!). A few weeks ago, Ramona called to see if I had an easy eclair cake recipe and I resurrected this. It is absolutely delicious and looks surprisingly fancy when cut into squares. Ramona later called to tell me that everyone at her party had raved and raved.

Butter and line a 13 x 9 pan with graham crackers (across the bottom and up the side too).
Mix 2 small boxes of French Vanilla instant pudding with 3 1/2 cups milk until thick. Add 9 oz (or closest amount) container Cool Whip, mix again. Pour 1/2 of the mixture into the pan, on top of the graham crackers. Add another layer of graham crackers to the top, then pour the rest of the pudding mixture on and then finish with a final layer of graham crackers. Refrigerate for 2 hours, then top with chocolate fudge frosting recipe (below).

Top eclair cake with Chocolate Fudge Frosting:

2 squares baking chocolate, melted (I use semi-sweet)
2 tsp. karo syrup
2 tsp. vanilla
2 tsp. margarine, softened
1 1/2 c. powdered sugar
3 T. milk

Mix everything well, then spread on top of eclair cake. Refrigerate cake overnight. Cut in squares to serve.

***For those who are unfamiliar with baking chocolate, you find it in the grocery store on the baking isle. It is usually above the chocolate chips and comes in a small box.

No comments: