Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Homemade Pizza Dough


I grew up on a farm and we always had ground beef in our freezer. My mom would make homemade pizza and top it with browned hamburger. This is a serious comfort food for me. I've included several different variations for toppings. I've tried tons of different crust recipes, but I like this one best.

Dissolve 1 T. yeast in 1 cup warm water. Let set 5 minutes. When yeast starts to grow, add:
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
2 T. vegetable oil
2 1/2 cups flour

Knead until smooth (3-5 minutes) I use my food processor with the kneading attachment for this, but you can easily do it by hand or in your stand mixer. Let rise about 30 minutes. Roll our on pizza pan. Add toppings, sauce and cheese. Bake until browned and bubbly. 350 degrees for approximately 20 minutes.

Mom's Pizza: Pizza Sauce, browned hamburger, olives, mushrooms, cheddar & mozzarella
Chicken Pizza: Alfredo Sauce, chopped chicken, green onions, fresh tomatoes, pressed garlic, mozzarella
BBQ Chicken: BBQ sauce, chopped chicken, red onion, cilantro, mozzarella

No comments: