Monday, June 7, 2010

Homemade Cheesy Mac

This recipe makes the BEST homemade macaroni and cheese you've ever tasted...but I have to warn you that I used a sauce mix and I'm going to shamelessly plug it here (see below). I used a curly pasta in this picture and added some tomato sauce, but I also made it last week with elbow macaroni and topped it with breadcrumbs. My picky kids LOVED both versions.




3 cups water
3/4 cup Shirley J Universal sauce mix
12 oz. shredded cheddar cheese
8 oz. elbow macaroni (cooked in salt water and drained)
2 T. melted butter
1 cup breadcrumbs (regular or Italian style)

In a saucepan, bring the water and the sauce mix to a boil. Boil 2-3 minutes until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat and add the shredded cheddar cheese, stirring until melted. Pour in the cooked macaroni. Pour into a casserole dish. Mix the butter and breadcrumbs together and spread over the top of the mac & cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for about 25-30 minutes. May want to cover it with foil at first, then remove the foil the last 10 minutes or so, otherwise the breadcrumbs get really browned.

UNIVERSAL SAUCE MIX:

I can't begin to tell you how much I love the Shirley J products. Their chicken bullion and beef bullion is the BEST I've ever tried. Here is a picture of the Universal Sauce Mix which can be used in hundred of recipes. Visit their website to see about ordering (www.shirleyj.com) or if you live in the Springville area, they sell the complete Shirley J line of products at Shaybee's on main street.

No comments: