Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Hawaiian Chicken Tacos - Since I'm A Slacker

My friend Marci uploaded this recipe to her blog and I wanted to share it. These sound DELISH! I can't wait to try them and will post a pic. when I do...

MARCI'S POST......
I got this recipe from "Studio 5" back in December. They are really called Mele Kalikimaka Chicken Wraps... try saying it- it's fun! But, usually I feel like an idiot calling them that, especially in the summer. So I renamed them Hawaiian Chicken Tacos. You can call them whatever you want!
First you make a marinade and marinate the chicken overnight. For the marinade you need
1 3/4 c water
1 T cornstarch
3/4 c brown sugar
1/2 c soy sauce
1/2 c canned pineapple tidbits
1/4 c juice from can of pineapple tidbits
1/2 t garlic powder
1/4 t onion powder
2 t minced fresh ginger (I always feel SUPER cool buying fresh ginger... like I could be on Food Network or something!)
* Whisk cornstarch into the water in saucepan. Add remaining ingredients and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 7 to 10 minutes or until sauce thickens. Cool before you use it for marinating.
* When sauce is cool, set aside 1 cup of sauce for later (don't forget this step!) Pour remaining sauce over chicken breasts. Cover chicken and marinate for at least 6 hours, or overnight if possible.
* When chicken has marinated, heat the grill and grill chicken on med-high heat until it is no longer pink. Remove. Slice chicken and set in serving dish. Microwave the leftover cup of sauce for 30 to 60 seconds- or until hot. Pour over chicken in dish.
For the wraps you need:
chicken
12 tortillas (PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get the uncooked flour tortillas that you warm up in a skillet before eating them. They. are. so. good. Really- they "make" the chicken tacos! Look for them by the cheese in the grocery store.)
2 c shredded cheese (I don't like cheese on mine... but you might!)
4 c shredded lettuce
1 c pineapple tidbits (don't forget these... they are the best part!)
1 1/2 c diced tomatoes
1/2 c chopped green onion (I have never tried onions on them...)
* Heat the tortilla on both sides, put some chicken on it, then whatever toppings you want. Wrap it up and enjoy. Hope you like them... we LOVE them at our house! I just wish I had a picture of them... then you would want to try them for sure!

4 comments:

karen louise said...

This sounds absolutely delish!!!

Heidi said...

This sounds amazing!

Melody said...

Can't wait to try these! Thanks!

Julie said...

Sounds wonderful! Kinda like some pork tacos I get at one of my favorite mexican places :)