Sunday, October 12, 2008

Lemon Pound Cake



One of my favorite magazines is Everyday Food. Whenever I go to the mailbox and see it there my heart does a little flutter. It's tiny and well organized and is FULL of excellent recipes. I keep a pack of mini sticky notes by my side as I read it and I tab the recipes that I want to try. This lemon pound cake came from the May 2007 issue.

2 sticks butter, softened (no substitutes)
3 cups flour
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 T. finely grated lemon zest
2 2/12 cups sugar
6 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup sour cream

Grease and flour 2 medium sized loaf pans. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda and lemon zest. In another bowl, beat the sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix in vanilla. With mixer on low beginning adding the dry ingredients alternately with the sour cream. Mix in 1/3 of the flour, then half of the sour cream, then another 1/3 of the flour, then the rest of the sour cream, then the rest of the flour (whew). Pour the batter equally between the two prepared pans. Bake for about 55-65 minutes or until the center is set and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Check it after about 40 minutes and if it is browning too quickly, tent it with tinfoil. Cool and remove from pans.

Glaze: Mix 2 cups powdered sugar with 2 T. freshly squeezed lemon juice. Drizzle over the top of the cakes.

No comments: