Thursday, June 5, 2008

School Lunch Peanut Butter Bars


This is THE recipe for peanut butter bars. You can frost with chocolate frosting, but the fudge frosting listed here is the best.

2 ¼ c. margarine 1 ½ tsp. vanilla
2 ¼ c. sugar 2 ¼ cup peanut butter
2 ¼ c. brown sugar 4 ½ cups flour
¾ tsp. salt 4 ½ cups oatmeal (not instant)
2 ¼ tsp. baking soda 5 eggs

Cream together the margarine, sugars, eggs, vanilla & peanut butter. Add the dry ingredients and mix well. Batter will be thick. Divide the batter between two large silver cookie sheets. Spread and pat down. Bake at 325 degrees until the top gets slightly browned (usually takes between 15-25 min. depending on your oven). Only bake one pan at a time. Cool and Frost. Cut in bars.

Fudge Frosting

3 cups brown sugar ½ cup butter (1 stick)
½ cup cocoa powder 1 (12 oz.) can evaporated milk
2 T. Vanilla 7 cups powdered sugar

In saucepan, add brown sugar, cocoa, butter and milk. Bring to boil & boil two minutes. Stir in the vanilla and powered sugar. Whisk with wire wisk until smooth (there may still be a few lumps). Pour equally over the two pans of peanut butter bars. Spread and let cool. Will harden to a fudge-like consistency.

1 comment:

Tricia said...

I think I'm going to cry....are these the same peanut butter bars that sister jordan used to give out at halloween? we lived across the street (on canyon drive) from her and my mom never let us eat anyone elses homemade treats from our candy bags except hers. we looked forward every year to these. I found your blog randomly through my best friend penny buggle who knows joelle and had a link to her blog on her page. I thought my gosh I knew a joelle and jerry jordan from springville when I was growing up. anyway I just thought that was so crazy. what a small world. I'm tricia swift (maiden name Gardine). and our family adored brother and sister jordan and these bars were the highlight of our halloween and a sweet childhood memory.