Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Strawberry Pineapple Shortcake & Homemade Pound Cake

Today was one of those days when I just had to throw things. I had some leftover fresh pineapple in the fridge and decided to throw it in with some strawberry shortcake I was making. While I was at it, I threw some almond flavoring in the whipped cream instead of vanilla. Next I threw some coconut in the oven and toasted it. Then I threw it all together in one big giant yummy stack of goodness. I should throw things more often.


Start with your favorite base: Pound cake, homemade biscuits, plain white cake, angel food cake, or (tsk, tsk)those twinkie-like little round things you buy at the grocery store.
Chop strawberries and sprinkle with sugar (I use about 2 cups strawberries and about 1-2 T. sugar). Allow to sit for several minutes and stir the mixture every now and then.
Chop pineapple (I use 1 cup) and stir in with the strawberries.
With a mixer, beat 1 cup heavy whipping cream, 3 Tablespoons powdered sugar, and ¼ tsp. almond extract on high until stiff peaks form.
To assemble: Place base on a serving plate, pile the fruit mixture on top. Dollop with flavored whipped cream. Top with toasted coconut and a pretty slice of both strawberry and pineapple.
HOMEMADE POUND CAKE
 1 1/2 c. flour
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/8 tsp. salt
1/2 c. butter
1 c. sugar
3 eggs, room temp
2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. sour cream
Mix the dry ingredients and set aside.  Beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add eggs, one at a time.  Add the vanilla and sour cream.  Add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.  Pour into a greased 8 inch loaf pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for about an hour (do the toothpick test to check it).  Cool for 10 minutes, remove from pan. 

1 comment:

Riyanna Lopez said...

These photos are great. I love the look of this short cake.

Riyanna
Believe it, San Antonio Movers website